New Sustainability Fee Program proposed to the District of Tofino

Tofino’s unified group of tourism and hospitality businesses to recommend a 1% charge on tourism bookings to benefit important community infrastructure needs for a positive future

Tofino, BC (November 9, 2021): The newly formed West Coast Hospitality Association, is presenting a proposal for a new Sustainability Fee Program to the district of Tofino this week, with the hope to implement a 1% charge on tourism bookings starting in January 2023. 

For an initial four-year period, the funds raised by the Sustainability Fee Program will be collected by the West Coast Hospitality Association. 80% of these funds will be paid to the District of Tofino and used towards financing significant infrastructure needs for the community. The remaining 20% will be retained by the West Coast Hospitality Association for administration needs and donations to other sustainability initiatives within the community. 

“Together with our resort, hospitality and tourism partners in Tofino, we support and recognize the need for investment in our community to sustain the incredible experiences that guests have come to expect during a visit to the wild, west coast of Vancouver Island,” says Christopher Fehr, general manager of Tofino Resort + Marina. “The Sustainability Fee Program offers a forward-thinking, long-term solution that will provide a new revenue stream to support important capital infrastructure projects such as the waste-water treatment plant, which are vital to our ability to thrive in the competitive global tourism sector and will also improve our community’s social, environmental and economic sustainability for the future.”

The West Coast Hospitality Association is united in its intention not to draw funds for these projects from the current Municipal and Regional District Tax, which provides funding for local tourism marketing, programs and projects, including the final year of the Visitor Centre construction costs, which help to amplify British Columbia’s tourism marketing efforts in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

The newly formed West Coast Hospitality Association is a member-based, not-for-profit society of fixed-roof accommodation providers, vacation rentals, campgrounds, RV parks and other businesses that rely on tourism for revenue streams and share a commitment to contribute directly to the well-being of their communities and destinations. -30- Image credit: Jeremy Koreski

Media Contact
Annabel Hawksworth
Hawksworth Communications
604.961.3707 | 

About Tofino Resort + MarinaAdventure seekers coming to battle the waves, foodies drawn to the unique tastes of Tofino’s incredible culinary scene and ocean lovers looking for a hip home base – Tofino Resort + Marina is the perfect place to experience the spirit of the wild, west coast. Inspired by adventure, Tofino Resort + Marina is the only full-service resort situated on the inlet, and is just a short stroll from Tofino’s artisan boutiques, surf shops and Pacific flavours of this ruggedly refined ocean-side community. Experience the on-site Marine Adventure Centre, offering ocean excursions that take travellers beyond the end of the road. Indulge at signature restaurant 1909 Kitchen showcasing ingredients sourced and foraged from Tofino’s ocean, shoreline and forests, and enjoy West Coast rustic design and enticing food and drinks at The Hatch Waterfront Pub. Home to Tofino’s largest private marina with 58 slips and space to moor vessels of up to 130 feet, plus Tofino’s only waterfront fitness centre, Tuff Fit.